Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Looking ahead...


After another rather extended absence from this thing, I am back to once again apologize for not being more regular with my updates, and also to once again ensure you that I intend to be more committed to this in the coming weeks and months.

Short version explaining the lack of entries...work got insane, Melissa and I have been training for a triathlon (including lots of training in the evenings), and then being exhausted at the end of the day because of those two things combined. We're still training, but work seems to have become more manageable, so this is going to start getting some more attention again.

In my original post, I mentioned that this would eventually become a bit topical. I am hoping that the next few months will allow for that. Besides my weekly entries on the Men of the Bible study I started (and will be continuing...Week 2 entry is coming soon!), I am going to take the coming seasons (fall/winter) to do some themed entries based around the theme of the given month. The fall and early winter seasons (October through New Year's) are my favorite times of the year, and I am pretty enthused about taking that time to grow in my faith. The outline looks like this...
  • October - Okay, Halloween isn't viewed as real "churchy." However, I am planning to look at some stories from the Word that include instances of spirits (angels or demons)...hopefully a few that are lesser known will be discussed! I also plan to look at the historical ties that the Church has to Halloween and All Saint's Day.
  • November - This month will include focus on giving thanks, how the Lord blessed people in the Bible through harvests, and will culminate with a look at the first Thanksgiving and how the Pilgrims gave thanks to God for His blessings.
  • December - I am really looking forward to this month! I am obviously going to focus on the story of Jesus's birth as a whole, but I also plan to do a more focused study of Joseph, the shepherds, and the magi. I will also be looking at the history of Christmas, and how the Christian treatment fits into it.
That is what I have planned on the surface. There will certainly be some addenda and revisions to that outline, but at least I have a plan! I hope you all enjoy following (and contributing with comments!) as I go through these studies.

In the interim, I am looking forward to getting back into this blog, and letting it be a tool that helps me...and you...grow in the Lord.

Until the next time...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to your spiritual commentary. I'm feeling pretty crappy today because I chose to listen to my IPOD while on the eliptical this morning instead of the "700 club" which was (oddly) playing on 4 screen at the gym. :)

    ReplyDelete